"Jobs to do in Spring"
Updated: Jun 8
Spring is the perfect time to get out into the garden and start preparing for the upcoming growing season. There are many things you can do to help your garden thrive, and it's also a great time to enjoy the beauty of the many plants that are starting to bloom. Here are some spring jobs to do in your garden, along with some plants to watch for:
1. Clear out debris and dead plant material. The winter can leave a lot of debris in your garden, so start by clearing out any dead leaves, twigs, and branches. This will help prevent disease and pests from taking hold.
2. Prepare your soil. Spring is a great time to add compost, manure, or other organic matter to your soil. This will help improve soil fertility and structure, which will in turn help your plants grow stronger and healthier.
3. Plant cool-season crops. Many vegetables, such as peas, lettuce, and spinach, thrive in cool temperatures and can be planted in the early spring. This is a great way to get a jumpstart on your vegetable garden.
4. Prune shrubs and trees. Spring is the perfect time to prune back any shrubs or trees that have become overgrown or need shaping. Just be sure to research the specific pruning needs of each plant to avoid damaging them.
5. Watch for spring-blooming plants. Spring is a beautiful time in the garden, with many plants starting to bloom. Some popular spring-blooming plants include daffodils, tulips, crocuses, hyacinths, and cherry blossoms.
6. Plan your summer garden. While you're working in the garden, take some time to plan out your summer garden. Consider which plants you want to grow, where you want to plant them, and how you'll care for them throughout the season.
7. Keep an eye out for pests and diseases. Spring can also bring pests and diseases to your garden, so be sure to keep an eye out for any signs of trouble. Early intervention can help prevent problems from getting out of hand.
In terms of plants to watch for in the spring, there are many options to choose from. Here are a few popular choices:
Daffodils: Daffodils are a classic spring-blooming plant, with bright yellow or white flowers that are sure to bring a smile to your face.
Tulips: Tulips come in a wide range of colours and are another popular choice for spring gardens. They can be planted in beds or in pots and look beautiful in cut flower arrangements.
Lilacs: Lilacs are a fragrant and beautiful spring-blooming shrub. They come in a variety of colours, including white, pink, and purple.
Forsythia: Forsythia is a shrub that produces bright yellow flowers in early spring. It's a great way to add some colour to your garden early in the season.
Peonies: Peonies are a beautiful and long-lasting spring-blooming perennial. They come in a variety of colours and are a popular choice for cut flower arrangements.
In conclusion, spring is a wonderful time to get out into the garden and start preparing for the growing season. By clearing out debris, preparing your soil, planting cool-season crops, pruning shrubs and trees and watch for spring blooming plants.